So, I went to see the doctor today about my lower back. Had my first back adjustment done -- very interesting. A little disturbing having a full grown adult grapple you and wrench you this way and that all the while pressing down on you with their weight. Despite the unnerving sounds of various spinal joints cracking and popping, I felt fine afterward.
Actually, even before my appointment my back was a lot better than it was a couple of days ago. I've been resting and taking ibuprofen, and I've also been careful not to injure it again. This means I've been sitting or walking around as if I'm in charm school balancing a book on my head -- ramrod-straight upper body, bending only at the knees, and slowly pirouetting when I want to turn. Awkward, but effective.
Anyway, until the x-rays come back and indicate something more sinister, it looks like everything will be fine in about six weeks, which is the norm for back injuries. So just more taking it easy, and more drugs.
Ah, pharmacological candy . . . my enemy, my friend. The daily prescribed regimen includes ridiculous amounts of ibuprofen, a twice-daily muscle relaxant, and a short course of corticosteroids. Mmmmmm. Personally, I prefer avoiding medicine as much as possible. Small to moderate pain can be managed. But if it helps promote healing, and possibly prevents reinjury, then I'll grudging take the stuff.
Oh, well. Guess the best way to avoid the need for drugs, is to avoid the need for drugs. Genius!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment