Friday, November 2, 2007

Nanowrimo: Day 02

Okay, I've decided to knock off for this, the second day of Nanowrimo. My word count is now 3,489.

I got a lot done today; I made up some ground and I got caught up. Granted, my actual goal is to be typing around 2,000 words per day, for 25 days of typing. (I figure it's better to build in a buffer with a few days off, just in case.) Actually, truth be told, I should be to typing at least 3,000 words a day, if I want to write 75,000 words in 25 days.

Why 75,000 rather than 50,000? Well, I would like for the finished novel to be 300 pages in length. At an average of 250 words per page, that means a total of 75,000 words. But even if I just aim for 50k or 60k, the reality is that I'm more likely to add to, rather than take away from, the novel's total word count with the subsequent revisions . . . at least initially. So I suppose there's no point in going overboard now.

Anyway, in the end it's all rather arbitrary, since the novel will be whatever length it will be, and should be. No more, no less.

No comments: