So, with all the writing I've been doing during Nanowrimo, I've given some thought into the nature of the creative process, or more specifically, the writing process.
If, as some people insist, there is no single “right” way to do things, that would mean that conversely there is no “wrong” way to do things either. Perhaps that's true, but I think it's safe to say that there are definitely less “efficient” ways of doing things.
For example, I've found it counter-productive to think you have to get it right the first time. And trying to create something that way, well it can be a horribly frustrating way to waste time. Which is why I think Nanowrimo is simply brilliant.
Writing a novel of 50,000 words in a single month's time is definitely doable, but not if you waste time. You have to step lively and not get bogged down in the details; just keep on rolling, don't over edit (better yet, don't edit at all) and don't over think. Bang out a novel as if it were a rough draft. Or even better, think of it as a stream-of-consciousness ramble-fest. Just get it down, and edit it later . . . much later.
After all, it's not as if writing is fundamentally different than other creative processes. We shouldn't expect the work to spring forth as a fully-formed, final draft from the writer's head, like Athena from Zeus' forehead. Right?
I mean, no one really thinks a painter simply sits down at a blank canvas and paints a masterpiece without doing some sketches or studies first, right? And we can't honestly think sculptors just plop themselves in front of a block of marble and chisel out a statue without a bit of planning and modeling in clay first, right? (Well, Bob “Happy Trees” Ross and Michelangelo aside.)
No, the best results often come from planning, experimenting, making mistakes, and making improvements incrementally over time. And that is a process -- meaning it takes time, patience, and many, many tiny steps before perfection, or something close enough, is achieved.
So, my approach to Nanowrimo and writing my novel is simply this: (i) write often and write a lot; (ii) then go back and write some more; (iii) until there is enough to start editing -- snipping a bit here, adding a bit more there, and moving stuff around until it seems right.
Somewhere along the way, I know I'll hit the 50,000 word count goal; of that I have no doubt. All I need to do for Nanowrimo sake, is to do it before the month is up. And that's all there is to that. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment